Durley Parish Council held their Monthly Meeting on Tuesday 13th November, 2018 in the Ken Stainer Suite at Durley Memorial Hall. 5 Parish Councillors, the Clerk – Mrs Anne Collins, County/District Councillor Humby, District Councillor Mclean and 6 parishioners were present. Kirstie Baines was also in attendance.


Apologies were received from Cllr Smith, Cllr Pitter and District Councillor Miller.


Cllr Delmege reported that the speed indicator sign has been well received by residents and he gave statistics out at the Meeting showing peaks in the speed of traffic and the volume of traffic. The sign will be moved to various locations over the weeks. Kirstie said that the School children were trying to trigger the speed by running along the pavement.


Cllr Bartlett reported on the response from the business units regarding the seating on the Sawmills Green. There has been a positive response and it was agreed that plaques could be placed on seats donated by a business.


Cllr Pitter is putting together a flyer which will be circulated around the village and Andy Burton is putting an item on the village website to highlight the broadband situation in Durley.


Cllr Watts, Cllr Delmege and the Clerk have attended many Meetings over the past months to prepare for the WW1 Exibition on 11th November. Parish Council Minute books and other interesting items of a past generation were on display at the Hall, along with displays by Durley School children and other family items from residents in Durley. Many organisations within Durley pulled together to help with the commemoration day which ended with a village beacon being lit.


Cllr Delmege confirmed that the CAB will be visiting Durley Lunch Club on Thursday 29th November to inform residents about recent scams etc.


CC/DC Humby reported on the Decision Day at HCC. He said that Recycling Centres were going to make a £5 charge to non-residents, and householders will be able to register 3 vehicles to take to the Centres in future. Some street lighting will be switched off during 1.00 a.m. and 4.00 a.m. to save energy. School Crossing Patrols who do not fit the criteria will not be funded by HCC, although training and equipment will still be funded by HCC.


DC Mclean reported that a visit was made to Durley by the Director of Place from WCC. The Director’s name is Chas Bradfield. Cllr Charles asked why the Parish Council were not informed of the visit as he felt that the Parish should have been invited to attend.


A resident present asked about the grit bin outside of Durley Church which needs to be filled. She has reported this on several occasions, but it has still not been filled. CC Humby offered to follow this up.


Complaints are still being received from residents who live in The Sawmills about the parking by business workers. Clerk was asked to write to the business units and ask that they park more considerately especially in the residential area.


The Clerk read out a letter from residents who expressed their thanks for the work that the Parish Council had done on their behalf recently.


Cllr Charles and the Clerk reported on the recent Southern Parishes Meeting in Denmead. The main items which were discussed included the new logo, the Parish Charter, enforcement issues and speeding vehicles.


Kirstie Baines gave a School report which included the proposed crossing and flashing lights, the topics the children have been covering, a competition which was won enabling a banner to be presented to the School to hang outside.


Cllr Watts gave a Neighbourhood Watch Report stating that scams, thefts from vehicles and vehicle number plates being stolen appear to be the main crimes at the moment in the area.


Councillors are still pursuing a width and weight restriction through Durley and a ban on HGV vehicles through the village. Clerk will ask Bishops Waltham PC about a recent HGV ban in their parish that was mentioned by DC Mclean. It is hoped that there will be some news on the village entry signs soon.


The Clerk has applied for Lottery Funding towards the new Hall floor. The fencing at the back of the Hall needs replacing. The Clerk will ask for quotes.


The new replacement seat at Durley Recreation Ground has been installed. Cllr Watts reported on damage that was caused to the Recreation Ground during a firework display which was held without the permission of the Parish Council. This was an unauthorised event and Councillors were disappointed that rubbish was left on the Ground, bottles and cages which obviously held fireworks were also left. It was agreed that this sort of behaviour is unacceptable and residents should be made aware of this irresponsible behaviour and the damage that was caused to our Recreation Ground. Councillors thanked Durley Football Club members who had to walk over the Ground the following morning and pick up the rubbish before the Referee would allow the planned football match to take place. CC Humby suggested that the Clerk contact the Environmental Protection Officer at WCC for advice. If any residents have any information regarding the culprits then please get in touch with the Council – this will obviously be in confidence.


Anne Collins

Clerk to Durley Parish Council